Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

General Questions

    What does Code Enforcement do?

    The Code Enforcement Department is responsible for enforcing over twenty-four Riverside County Ordinances as well as various state and federal laws in the unincorporated areas of Riverside County. Code Enforcement activities contribute to safe, healthy, sustainable communities and preservation of water quality and natural resources. The Department seeks to strike a balance between enforcement and compliance by engaging in a community oriented approach geared toward achieving voluntary compliance. Code Enforcement staff use administrative, civil and criminal remedies to address and resolve code violations.

    How long will it take for the Code Enforcement officer to respond to my complaint?

    Code Enforcement Staff respond and prioritize complaints based on issues dealing with the health and safety of the community. Those issues that pose an imminent threat are responded to within 24 hours.

    How long will it take to resolve the violation?

    The Code Enforcement Department strives for compliance within 15 to 60 days. However, time frames will vary on a case by case basis due to the violation type, owner response, due legal processes and other variables.

    Can I file an anonymous complaint?

    Yes, however, providing contact information will allow the officer to obtain additional information if necessary and provide a follow up case status. Reporting party information is kept confidential under the Public Information Act, Government Code Section 6254(f).

    Do I need a permit?

    Please see the Building & Safety Department Website and Building & Safety Department's Frequently Asked Questions

    Do I Need a Building Permit Flyer

    A permit is required before constructing, enlarging, altering, repairing, or demolishing a building or structure or installing or altering any equipment which is regulated by the model codes adopted by the County of Riverside.

    As a general rule, any grading within a sensitive area or excavations over 50 cubic yards requires a permit.

    If you are unable to determine if your work requires a permit, you may contact the Building & Safety permit counter during regular business hours at (951) 955-1800.

    What is a Notice of Pendency and how do I get it released?

    A Notice of Pendency is a document that is recorded against the title of a property found to be in violation of County Codes or Ordinances. The purpose of the Notice of Pendency is to notify any prospective buyers of the violations. The Notice will appear on title reports for the property. Once the violations have been resolved, the property has been re-inspected and any Administrative costs have been paid, a Release of Notice of Pendency will be issued.

    Requests for Demand and Release of Notices of Pendency issued by the County of Riverside Code Enforcement Department may be submitted through our Website Demand Request & Payments. For more information, please contact Code Enforcement Administration at (951) 955-2004.

    I live in a city located in Riverside County. What number do I call to report a Code Violation?

    The County of Riverside Code Enforcement Department provides service in the unincorporated areas of the County.  Contact the local code enforcement agency of the city in which you live by using the list below.

    • City of Blythe, Building Department, Code Compliance: Telephone (760) 922-6130
    • City of Banning, Code Enforcement Department: Telephone (951) 922-3120
    • City of Beaumont, Code Compliance: Telephone (951) 769-8520
    • City of Calimesa, Code Enforcement Department: Telephone (909) 795-9801
    • City of Canyon Lake, City Hall: Telephone (951) 244-2955
    • City of Cathedral City, Code Enforcement: Telephone (760) 770-8200
    • City of Coachella, Code Enforcement: Telephone (760) 398-5110, or (760) 398-4978
    • City of Corona, Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 739-4970
    • City of Desert Hot Springs, Code Enforcement: Telephone (760) 329-6411 - ext. 266
    • City of Eastvale, Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 361-2888
    • City of Hemet, Code Enforcement: Telephone(951) 765-2339
    • City of Indian Wells, Code Enforcement: City Telephone (760) 346-2489, complaint form required and available at:
    • City of Indio, Community Development/Building & Safety: Telephone (760) 391-4000 (Administration)
    • City of Jurupa Valley, Code Compliance: Telephone (951) 332-6464
    • City of La Quinta, Code Compliance: Telephone (760) 777-7050
    • City of Lake Elsinore, Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 674-3124, ext. 227
    • City of Menifee, Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 672-6777
    • City of Moreno Valley, Code and Neighborhood Services Division: Telephone (951) 413-3340
    • City of Murrieta, Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 461-6330
    • City of Norco, Fire Department Code Compliance Division: Telephone (951) 737-8097 (written complaint required)
    • City of Palm Desert, Planning Code Compliance Division: Telephone (760) 346-0611
    • City of Palm Springs, Code Compliance: Telephone (760) 778-8434
    • City of Perris, Code Compliance: Telephone (951) 385-4131
    • City of Rancho Mirage, Department of Community Development Code Compliance: Telephone (760) 328-2266
    • City of Riverside Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 826-5311, e-mail:
    • City of San Jacinto, Community Development Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 487-7330
    • City of Temecula, Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 302-4144
    • City of Wildomar, Code Enforcement: Telephone (951) 677-7751

    Find your Supervisorial District

    Short Term Rentals

      Short Term Rentals

      • Click here for the Short Term Rentals Frequently Asked Questions

      Do I need approval for a short-term rental?

      Yes, homeowners or management companies who provide short-term lodging at private residences are required to register the home(s) with the County of Riverside. Please see Short Term Rentals for additional information and requirements.






            How long can my vehicle be parked in the street?

            Riverside County Ordinance 413 allows a vehicle to be parked no longer than 72 hours. Vehicles parked longer than 72 hours are subject to towing and storage at the owner's expense, or to citations.

            Vehicle Parking Ordinance FAQ flyer - English | Spanish

            Where can I park my vehicle for sale?

            On private property you own and occupy or where you have written consent of the property owner prominently displayed in the vehicle. See Riverside County Ordinance 413, Section 1.13 for more specific information.

            Can I park my motor home or trailer in the street?

            Riverside County Ordinance 413, Section 1.18.1 allows recreational vehicles to be parked for a period of not more than 48 hours twice a month directly in front of the residence.

            Recreational Vehicle FAQ flyer - English | Spanish

            Does Code Enforcement tow abandoned vehicles?

            Yes, abandoned vehicles that are inoperative or wrecked AND are located on private property can be removed through the Junk Your Clunker Program (English or Spanish) at no charge. Removal can take place once the property owner and/or occupant signs a release form and the Department notifies any registered or legal owner of record of the impending removal and destruction of the vehicle, as required.

            Abandoned vehicles located on public, County maintained roads or highways should be referred to either the Riverside County Sheriff's Department at 1-800-950-2444 or the California Highway Patrol at 1-800-TELL-CHP (1-800-835-5247).

            Vehicle Parking


              How many animals (chickens, horses, goats.) can I have on my property?

              The number of animals allowed on a particular property depends on the size of the property, the zone in which the property is located and the type of animals. See the Planning Department site to research your property.

              Tenant/Landlord Disputes

                Where can I report my apartment building or house that I am renting for insect infestation or repairs needed?

                Code Enforcement encourages tenants to work out minor complaints with property owners. The California Department of Consumer Affairs provides a hand book ("California Tenants: A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities") with helpful information to assist in such matters. Publications can be ordered by calling the Department of Consumer Affairs' Publications Hotline at (866) 320-8685 or (800) 952-5210, or go to their website at: for additional resources and information.

                Nuisance Neighbors - Small Claims Option

                  Another way to hold "that house" accountable

                  Every neighborhood has that house or that neighbor that creates a nuisance in the community. It may be the unsightly appearance of their landscaping, inoperative vehicles or trash and debris. Or maybe they throw loud parties every weekend. Local Law Enforcement and Code Enforcement are often limited in their ability to resolve a nuisance as promptly as a neighborhood might like. We all have a right to due process and these processes take time. However, you do have a right to the quiet enjoyment of your property. If you are being deprived of that by a neighbor you can act yourself by suing the offending party in Small Claims Court. More information can be obtained by consulting with an attorney or paralegal or by calling Superior Court of California, County of Riverside, Small Claims Assistance at (951) 274-4499 or (760) 393-2163, or by email at SmallClaimsAdvisory@Riverside.Courts.CA.Gov.

                  Miscellaneous FAQs

                    Miscellaneous FAQs

                    Prop 64 / Ord 925 Cannabis Cultivation

                      Cultivating Cannabis Still Illegal in Unincorporated Riverside County with Limited Exemptions for Qualified Medical Cannabis Patients, Allowances under Prop. 64

                      California voters legalized recreational use of cannabis on Nov. 8 by approving Prop. 64, called the Adult Use of Cannabis Act . Under Prop. 64 each county and city in California may place “reasonable” restrictions on cannabis cultivation for personal use but may not completely ban cultivation of up to six plants. Prop. 64 allows an adult, 21 years of age or older, to cultivate six plants inside a private residence or within a locked area on the grounds of the private residence in an area that is fully enclosed, locked, and not visible from a public place.  Under Prop. 64, no more than six cannabis plants may be cultivated per private residence, no matter how many people live there.

                      More than a year before the Prop. 64 vote, the Board of Supervisors approved Riverside County Ordinance 925 . The ordinance prohibits cannabis cultivation in the unincorporated area, i.e., outside city boundaries. Ordinance 925 includes a limited exemption from enforcement for qualified medical cannabis patients and their primary caregivers.  Because the prohibition under Ordinance 925 remains in effect today, cultivating cannabis in unincorporated Riverside County remains illegal, beyond the limited exemptions in Ordinance 925 and Prop. 64.

                      Under Ordinance 925, individual qualified patients and primary caregivers may cultivate up to 12 plants, for medical purposes only, on a parcel where the patient or caregiver resides. To qualify for the exemption, the qualified patient or primary caregiver must meet ALL the requirements listed in Section 12 of the ordinance.

                      Please review Ordinance 925  to ensure you understand the cultivation prohibitions in unincorporated Riverside County.

                      If an individual cannot meet ALL the requirements listed in Section 12 of Ordinance 925, then the provisions of Prop. 64  govern cultivation. In that case, a resident of a property who is at least 21 years old can cultivate only six cannabis plants indoors or in a fully enclosed locked area, and no other cannabis plants may be grown on the property.

                      Additionally, all cannabis dispensaries remain prohibited in unincorporated Riverside County under Sections 3.3 and 3.4 of Ordinance 348.